Sunday, May 23, 2010

Weekend update


(This pic is 6 years ago!... Happy birthday Pepere!)
Usually on a nice weekend I would have spent most of it outdoors running, but that's not the case. Maybe I am being too cautious, but I am determined to have fun and run the Vermont marathon next weekend.
Yesterday I did 8 miles on the elliptical and today I did 12- good news, no l knee pain today and that's without any icing or ibuprofren too. Since I'm trying to stay low and relax I've also caught up on tv I don't have time to during the week, thank you hulu! My newest favorite show is "parenthood" and "glee" is in second. One of the sons in parenthood has autism, so the situations in it I can relate to because of my students. Watching glee really makes me wish I had some vocal talent, although I wouldn't trade the ability to run for the ability to sing!
As for the rest of my weekend, I think I am actually going to get out of my slippers soon and do a little shopping soon, some for necessity, some for pleasure! I need to finish up planning some lessons this afternoon, but I got my coursework done yesterday! Oh yeah and did I mention I only have 19 days left of teaching this year!? I can't believe it's almost been 6 full years!!
Back to the rest of today, it's my pepere 87th birthday tomorrow, so we're having a little celebration this evening. Sadly this is more than likely his last birthday, as his health is declining and will no longer be given any more meds- between parkinsons and alzheimers he really is no longer the grandfather I once knew. It's sad that hasn't known who I have been for the past couple of years. How can one really call his life "living" anymore? He's confined to a chair or a bed. He can't walk. He can't eat solid food (which used to be a hobby, he's the self proclaimed strawberry shortcake eating champion!) He doesn't realize what is going on and can't even verbalized a complete sentence. I still have the memories of him growing up- he and my memere used to babysit my siblings and I when the rents went out. I'll never forget discovering their dentures on the counter of my bathroom, traumatizing for a 7 year old to see!
Life really comes full circle and his life on earth is coming to a close, so it will be good to enjoy some time with him and my family this evening, as this may be his last birthday cake.

No comments: