Thursday, July 8, 2010

hot tea on a hot day

So the temps are circa 100 again today on this beautiful Thursday afternoon and I'm having a cup of hot tea... why? Surely not because I'm cold and want to heat up, I just enjoy a cup of tea in the afternoon if I have the time! I love tea! I've never been a coffee drinker... tea does it for me! I always have a cup in the morning with or before breakfast, but during the summer I have more time, so I can relax with a cup in the afternoon! (Although sometimes if I am super hot I have to admit a cold drink may be a substitute, but I was feeling the tea today!) I also had a weird craving at lunch time... eggs! Sometimes I am too lazy to make them, but really wanted some today, so I thought hard boiled along with a fresh salad would be the perfect lunch, and it was! Especially when half the salad was grown in my yard! My mom loves gardening and I love picking and eating the veggies!

I think that maybe the reason for the egg craving was my body wanting some protein, I really don't eat meat and get most of my protein from seafood and beans, plus I rode 34 miles this morning on my bike, so I think my body was hungryyyy. I love getting in a work out in the morning! I met up with a family friend at 7 am and we road to thompson, ct and back... woohoo for crossing state lines on a ride, haha. In total we rode for 2:25, although I was going at his pace, so I could have done it faster, I wasn't really sweaty at all at the end, but it felt great!

This afternoon is looking like another trip to our friend's pool! Thank goodness that friends take pity on me and let me cool off at their place!

Last night I was so excited to try something new... sweet potatoes! I can't believe I've never had one before! I put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes to soften it up, then put it out on the grill to char it like I would a baked potato...delicious!! I also learned (because I googled it..) that sweet potatoes and yams are different!

Sweet Potatoes
Popular in the American South, these yellow or orange tubers are elongated with ends that taper to a point and are of two dominant types. The paler-skinned sweet potato has a thin, light yellow skin with pale yellow flesh which is not sweet and has a dry, crumbly texture similar to a white baking potato. The darker-skinned variety (which is most often called "yam" in error) has a thicker, dark orange to reddish skin with a vivid orange, sweet flesh and a moist texture.

Current popular sweet potato varieties include Goldrush, Georgia Red, Centennial, Puerto Rico, New Jersey, and Velvet.

Yams
The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is not even distantly related to the sweet potato.

Slowly becoming more common in US markets, the yam is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over 150 varieties available worldwide.

Generally sweeter than than the sweet potato, this tuber can grow over seven feet in length.

I don't know what kind of sweet potato I ate, but obviously it wasn't a yam... and at 7 feet I don't think would have fit into my grill!

Well it's time to suit up for the pool... stay cool!

No comments: