Saturday, August 21, 2010

making something out of an overripe banana

Ok I really don't like to be wasteful. While I like to clean my classroom and throw stuff away, before I do so I think if someone else could use something or if I could recycle it somehow. The same goes for food. No, I didn't recycle food, well actually I kind of did.
I was cleaning up after lunch and saw a lonely almost too ripe banana sitting in the fruit bowl. It was past the time at which I would like to eat it, I touched it and it felt mushy through the skin. Unfortunately the banana bread recipe that I've adapted and love needs 3 bananas. So I did a little thinking and looking in the cabinets, i didn't want to go buy more ingredients, but rather use that banana with stuff on hand to make something... Then I got an inspiration when i saw peanut butter and oatmeal, there must be a recipe for a peanut butter-banana- oatmeal bread of some sort. I goggled these ingredients and decided on peanut butter- banana and oatmeal muffins... Which I think should be called Elvis oatmeal muffins. I used a basic recipe from www.allrecipes.com but made some minor changes. If I make it again I probably would substitute some wheat flour for the white and would add more oatmeal- i like a denser more grainy muffin.
Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
Combine 1 cup flour, oats, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and baking powder. Whisk together milk, peanut butter, banana, egg, oil, and vanilla. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full.
In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup flour, melted butter and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffins.

I baked these for nearly 20 minutes, then they seemed a little bland, so I wanted to jazz them up... i was thinking of drizzling some melted pb on top, but thought they'd then be too messy to eat. So instead I just made a little cinnamon and sugar mixture and sprinkled it over the top. I know, not a wicked healthy topping, but a little sugar doesn't hurt every now and then!
I think maybe putting a little cinnamon in the batter would be good... I also would love some walnuts in there too. But they taste good for first time baking these and i didn't have to throw away the banana!


This morning I was a busy bee at the gym. I was on the elliptical for 90 minutes! And it felt good. I didn't really go hard, just a relaxing gait. Then I thought my abs could use a little attention. I used different ab machines then did various crunches and situps on and off the ball and mat.

I've done a great job at procrastinating school work today, but should probably face the music and get a little of it done before heading to church this afternoon.

Muffin pics to come...

1 comment:

Caitlyn Clark said...

I think they need a new word for what I do if you call what you do procrastinating!

haha! ;)