Sunday, August 22, 2010

sunday (no)long run day...

Well Sundays are usually started with the long run... but since I'm not running until I see the orthopedic next week I did a non-run long run... meaning I did 12.7 miles in 1:40 on the elliptical! I feel great! Even though it's not running it still feels good to be able to work out like this and not have my knee hurt. Granted, the doctor has me taking an aleve daily so I may be masking a bit of pain, but still it feels so much better than weeks when I have tried to run and stubbornly battled through the run. I'm really eager to talk to the orthopedic and have him asses my situation and hopefully give me some answers or at least get me started on some pt and the road to recovery!
Other than the gym this morning it's a rainy dreary day here in MA. The rents are in flight now on their way home from DC where they went to a wedding last night, congrats to the new Mr. and Mrs. Canning, I'm sure Cristina was a beautiful bride and it was a great event.
Although I said I was going to get some school work done yesterday I kind of managed to skirt around that issue, aside from making my kiddo's birthday chart for the classroom. Instead I played in the kitchen a bit more and made a pasta salad, figuring there'd be leftovers for the hungry travelers when they get home this afternoon. I also went into the garden and of course there was another crop of tomatoes to be picked... leaving the kitchen full of dozens of tomatoes again. So I decided to use more of them and make a homemade tomato sauce! I love the smell of simmering sauce... something about the smell I think of the oregano infusing with the tomatoes that just smells soooo good. Making a pot of it is super easy and then it's in the fridge for some easy meals during the week!
Here's what I did:
Sauted three garlic cloves with half a yellow onion
Added a small can of tomato paste
Took that mixture and added it to a pot with one can of sclefani crushed tomatoes
Added 6 large diced frest tomatoes from garden
For seasoning I put in about a teaspoon of garlic salt, about 1+ tablespoons of oregano, 2 bay leaves, a few dashes of pepper, and a tablespoon of sugar- you could use a little honey here instead, but it helps to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes, good trick!
Stirring occasionally, I let it simmer on low for about 40 minutes... you can just reheat it in the pot when you're ready for some pasta! My fam also makes roasted veggies with the sauce on it too, very good.




Also made another pasta salad too:


Well I am sweaty still from the gym... probably should go shower now that I've got my icing done! (Icing has become my blogging time... I enjoy multitasking.)
Happy end to the weekend and last week of summer vacation!

No comments: