Saturday, September 4, 2010

1st week back recap

Due to my lack of blogging action you could assume I was super busy, if you assumed this, you were correct. Even though I've had many first days of third grade, every year is different. The kids always bring different things to the table and it takes a little to get to know their strengths and weaknesses as well as their likes and dislikes.
Day 1 started off well, there's something about the first day that is so fresh- a blank slate for all complete with the essential "first day outfit"... Yes i did debate over this for a while, but settled on a new blue skirt and black top... And due to 90 degree weather flip flops were in full effect too.
As always, the kids are cute. We pick them up in the gym where they file in off the bus or are dropped off by their parents. Of course, some parents stay there and take pictures and try to get to know me, which i don't mind.
Being in a new hallway, you'd think the kids were on a new planet, they lack the ability to realize where they are relative to the rest of the school, so as always, i gave them the "tour" and how to get to parts of the school from where we now are. It's really important to use the beginning of the year to set good routines and rules. This creates a lot of talking from me, which i hate being the one doing all the talking but it's necessary.
As the day went on the kids settled in and one boy asked me how old i was. Very seriously I answered- 55, he said okay and went on snacking. I had to stop him and tell him i was kidding--- there's no way me, 28, could pass for 55.
Days 2 and 3 were similar to 1, although i had grad school from 4:30 to 9 the first day of school which made me work out in the am that day, i goy up and was at the gym at 5:30! I need to do this weekly. Thursday and friday i went to the gym after school and thursday i managed to do a strength training spin class which was killer- in a good way.
It's nice having the gym close to home. I can come home and change here without wasting time. By the time i got done working out last night i was beat. But i managed to do some grad school work before calling it a night. I did sleep a little late this morning though, like 8:30 before i woke up, that's a little over 9 hours sleep, guess i needed it. I made pancakes when i got up and hit the gym around 10. I was on the elliptical for 80 minutes, which was a lit over 8 miles. Ive been busy since- food shopping, lunch, and lesson planning. I need to go to church soon, then gotta go to target for a few forgotten school supplies and a new hair dryer. Then will probably do more work after dinner! Planning to have some fun tomorrow though, so i don't mind working tonight. :)

No comments: