Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1st post of the new year

Things have been busy to start off 2011!
I know I should be posting more, as I really do enjoy it; however, I feel like I don't have time and would rather be out taking part in experiences or doing things more so than typing about them... but it is nice to take the time to reflect too.
Ok, so let's start with the new year... I rang it in in my new apartment! Well, technically I wasn't here, I went down to Rhode Island; however, I did spend the first night of the new year here. :)

My apartment is now feeling like my home. I really love it here; it took a lot of work that first week to move in everything and get it all settled and where I wanted it; however, now that I am in, pictures are hung on the walls, and the fridge is full (well mostly...) it's a lot easier to really live here.

After finally moving in, it was back to school, a rude awakening after a busy and fun filled holiday "break" although I'm not complaining, moving in the week of winter vacation was perfect- I don't think I would have been able to get it all done if I was teaching at the same time!

So it was back to school, at least for a couple of days; however, then an unexpected thing occurred; well not so much unexpected, but I didn't realize it would happen last week. I talked to my mom last Monday and she basically told me that my Pepere only had a few days left to live. He's battled with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's for years now, and his battle was coming to an end. I had been over to Mem and Pep's a couple days ago; however, I planned to go there on Tuesday to say my final goodbyes... too bad I was too late. He passed away early on Tuesday morning. I still went over there Tuesday evening, but it was to comfort Memere, Pepere was already gone.

It's never easy to lose a loved one; however, when their quality of life is so poor, it's a blessing when you know that they are now going to heaven, rather than suffering here on Earth. Still, it was tough to go through all of the rituals with one's passing. The wake was on Thursday and funeral Friday, so I missed those days of school. It was comforting to be able to spend this time with my family and tell stories about all of the good times with Pepere.

This is one of the last pictures I have with him... from Christmas this past year. Mem, Pep, and their grandkids :)

Friday was quite emotional for me. All of the grandkids were pallbearers; however, I didn't realize, that we really carried him everywhere... to and from the casket, in church, and at the cemetery. It was very powerful to literally be the one to lay him to his final resting place. I also got to do a reading in church, which was nice and I felt like he'd really be proud of how we all did. He loved parades and got his final parade through Millbury... complete with a police and fire escort since my uncle is the town police sargeant.

Mem, Pep, and their kids--- my mom's family

After last week's emotions, I needed a relaxing weekend to get back into "normalcy." I hadn't run all week, just done cross training- my head really wasn't in it, so I figured as long as I did an hour of cardio a day I'd still be fine. I had my first guests for dinner on Saturday night...I wound up calling the rents and inviting them over for dinner; I knew my mom was exhausted so I figured this was a way for her to not have to cook another meal! It was really nice to feel "grown up" and feeding my parents for once! Not like I've never cooked them dinner, but still.

This week got off to a good start; trying to get back into the routine was a little rough on Monday morning, but the day went well, workout went well- just elliptical for 10 miles (78 minutes). Then I did some upper body lifting and abs.

Tuesday was good too; and since I'm back to "normal" training, that meant running- 6 miles in 42:56. Then I hopped on the elliptical for another 40 minutes. I felt like a kid again last night when I got the phone call that we had no school today! (Wednesday)

This morning it was super nice to not have to set an alarm, even though my body kind of woke up normally, I was able to force myself to fall back asleep a couple of times and didn't get up and out of bed for good until about 8:30. I looked out my window and it definitely was snowing- I could barely see out , everything was so white! It was nice to slowly start the day... enjoy breakfast in my pajamas and watch the news on tv to see the stories of everyone trying to dig themselves out! Since the gym actually closed today and the fact that my honda civic doesn't do well in a foot of snow, it was a bike riding day! ... on the trainer of course. I rode for 2 hours, then showered, had lunch, and now I'm relaxing on the couch, with plans to do some school work/ grad school work to get ahead of the game!

This is my view this afternoon:

No comments: