Wednesday, March 9, 2011

can't talk... but i can write!

Once again it's been a while since I've visited... actually no, I've visited, but I haven't written anything.

Unfortunately today- Thursday- I have time to write because I am home sick, I haven't been sick yet this school year, but had to give in finally. My head is KILLING me- think I have a sinus infection/ something sinusy coming on so last night I went and picked up some sudafed. I'm not one to like to take meds, but sometimes I just feel like I have to do it.

Sickness aside, I haven't written in over a month and a fair amount has happened.

In February there was Valentine's Day... which I got to spend with Jeff.




We went out to dinner one weekend with a group...





And then we had our own weekend the following weekend... out to dinner/ late lunch in Boston followed by Blue Man Group!

We took the T in from Riverside so we didn't have to worry about parking.


At the Charles Playhouse.... we were chosen to be a part of the show! I didn't get a photo though, no pictures allowed in the theater! Blue Man is a great show if you're looking for something to do on a weekend!


A couple of weeks ago we had a bowling date with some of Jeff's friends... don't you love my bowling shoes?




I never really understood why you have to wear these shoes and actually the thought of how many people's feet were in these shoes before me kind of grosses me out... let's just forget about that!
I actually got a strike and won one of the games! :)
Unfortunately the week before bowling I pulled a muscle in my butt, which led to issues with running. I was up to running over 30 miles a week, and cross training on the other days... my long run was up to 12 miles (at a sub 7:30 pace), I was totally thinking about doing the Providence Half Marathon in May, but since then I haven't run in a week and a half... I have ellipticalled or worked out daily (with the exception of yesterday and probably today, since my body is sick and I think I just need to rest it)... so I'm not sure where I stand with racing- where or when.
Jeff is a PT- so I've had an insider's pov as to what is going on--- basically my hip muscles are too weak; all of the running I do is limiting me from working the side to side part of my legs, so I need to work on that... which brings me to my next topic (this is not a focused post!)

Lent- It started yesterday and every year Catholics sacrifice something... but I really don't feel like giving up sweets is helping me to be a better Catholic. Sure, I've given up desserts, cookies, etc. before, but I've gotten to the point where I really don't eat these things on a regular basis, so it's not worth it to say I'm giving it up. That being said I want to really try to focus on fueling my body with healthy foods; however, after a long workout I've learned my body needs more. I have started to have a protein shake immediately after workouts that are an hour plus (which is most of my workouts) and I've also been hydrating while working out. I've discovered knots in my butt which I've learned is a sign of dehydration- so I am working on that too.
Another part of my training/ lent resolution is to try to get back into doing yoga. I think that this addition will make me more aware of my body and will work areas that running doesn't. Of course I am sick right now, so I don't plan on going to class right now; however, my gym has a Sunday class at 10:30 and an evening class on Thursday I think at 6:30... if not I have a yoga dvd I can pop in. I am not going to become a yogini for sure, but my goal is to do 1 yoga session per week. I think Lent is about trying to make yourself better and I think the addition of yoga will be better for me holistically.
The final part of my "refocus" of Lent leads me to the blog. I think that sometimes I don't write because I am avoiding facing some fears... ie: I get injured and don't want to share it, or I'm sick and taking the day off and don't want to put it in writing. However, the fact of the matter is, I need to be true to myself. I admit, I am sick today and I am not going to work out... does this make me lazy and out of shape ? No. Do I sometimes over analyze it though and get nervous? Yes. I am going to get over it, there is more to life. So with blogging I am going to try to blog at least 3 times a week. These may not be informative posts, since I use this blog more to recap my life; however, I would like to try to take more pics and share things on here. It's more of an outlet for myself. I am in a new course on teaching writing in my cags program and last night we discussed our own writing and I realized that I like to write my thoughts- so am I not? That's going to change.

This post was really unfocused, basically my ramblings over the past month+ and I've left a lot out. Hopefully as I increase the times I post I will be able to have more of a daily focus-- I'd like to try to include teaching stuff, running stuff, cooking stuff, and fun stuff too :)

Now it's time for tea and more tissues.

No comments: