Thursday, March 17, 2011

lucky me

I don't exactly believe in luck... I think you have to work hard to make things happen, but "lucky me" was in my head today, probably because that's what was written on my feet! Well, actually that's what was written on my socks.

Being Irish I had to show some Irish pride today at school! I had on a very Kelly Green sweater, shamrock pin, and shamrock necklace. My kiddos dressed for the day too, we had a sea of green in 3C!

Like I said, I don't believe in luck... I believe in hard work in order to get things done. I realize though, that sometimes you don't have to work harder, you have to work smarter. This is my goal as I (knock on wood) get back into running and race training this spring. I am going to work out smarter, not harder. When I was marathon training I did a lot more running, but I don't want the marathon to be my focus anymore, I really like the half and would like to just improve my overall fitness, hence the new goal.

Here's the tentative plan-

yoga once a week (looking at my training logs I seemed to be less injured when I had yoga in my life).

bike- two times a week-- as the warmer weather comes I can't wait to take my baby off the trainer and hit the roads again for the first time since last fall's crash. (slightly scared though!)

run- three times a week-- one long run, one medium run (tempo?), one recovery or one track workout depending on a race to train for

elliptical or swim-- remaining days or use as cross training--- I have feared learning how to swim for real (let's just say I am more of a "Doggie Paddler"... I can get from one end of the pool to the other, but it isn't pretty. I need to learn some technique.)

some days I plan on mixing it up too...short run and ride or short run and elliptical.

Overall, I just want to be a lifelong healthy person and think that by mixing it up it will be better for my body in the long run (no pun intended, haha). I also think that I can not run as much, yet still be in just as good a shape and hit some good times in races too... plus I think that swimming and biking more frequently will work muscles that I don't hit while running. I also think this will help to reduce the amount of injuries I am prone too!

Time to enjoy the remainder of the day... and by "enjoy" I mean get some work done before relaxing a bit!

Happy St. Patrick's Day... here are my socks :)

2 comments:

jbhurdlez said...

Sounds like you have a great plan! Love the socks!

julie said...

now i just need to stick to the plan!