Tuesday, March 29, 2011

a whirlwind of a weekend

Every week it seems I am just trying to get to the weekend... and then the weekend comes and flies by!! While this weekend didn't have any major events, it surely filled up quick!
Saturday morning started bright and early at 7:30 with a trip to the gym. I wanted to elliptical before my massage!

I had an appointment in RI for a massage with Jeff's massage therapist, Michaele. Not only is she an awesome massage therapist, but she's a former physical therapist, so she knows a lot about the body... AND she's all about natural healing and healthy eating, so we totally hit it off! AND she's lactose intolerant like me too, so that was a double bonus.

Her sanctuary was so peaceful... the smell, the music, the warmth, it was incredibly relaxing. That is it was incredibly relaxing until she got to work. She started on my "good side"... which wasn't too good in her book and she managed to find a few nasty knots on my right glute/ hip area. Then it was on to the left side.... dum dum dum. Michaele told me there are 3 levels where knots lie... and yes I have some down in level 3, meaning they're deep down in there. I guess the years of wear and tear and many miles have really twisted some fibers in there and created a nest of knots. I guess that's why I am so tight and sore? Well, only part of it... I mentioned that my left leg is longer, I have scoliosis, etc. and she asked if I wear the lift that I was given back in college, which I don't. (It's 3/8'')... but it makes my shoe fit weird, so I just figured let my body compensate. Well, maybe it's catching up with me.

Yesterday I called primary care and got a referral to see a podiatrist in a couple of weeks-- I'm thinking that orthotics with a little extra lift built into the right insert will help to level my hips off and hopefully in time will help to correct my alignment AND hopefully my hamstring on the left side won't also be so tight/ at risk of being pulled, which it feels like it slightly is right now.

Slight tangent there, let's rewind to Saturday again! Ok so after the massage it was errands and sight seeing of Jeff's hometown, in MA, not RI.

Then it was on to dinner after food shopping... on the menu: FALAFEL! Now neither of us had made it before, but I was just given the recipe and it sounded good!

Falafel:
1 can chickpeas
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
5 tbs parsley or cilantro, chopped
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
zest/ rind of a lemon and some juice for flavor
1 egg (we didn't use an egg and it was a little dry... a binder would have been better, next time!)
breadcrumbs



Basically we put all of chopped ingredients in a bowl, along with mashed chickpeas. Then we made mini ball out of them, probably about an inch and a half in diameter? I didn't want them too big or they'd take forever to cook and I was hungrrrrry!



We put them in the oven for about 10 minutes (along with the lasagna I was making Jeff to get him through the week!)... then rolled them in breadcrumbs and sauteed them on the stove--- didn't want to fry them, they were a lot healthier this way!

here's Jeff mixing it up!


after baking them, I put them on the stove... I kind of pressed them down a bit to give them more of a crust


Finally, we took wheat pita bread, cut it in half, and put the falafel inside atop a bed of spinach, super yum!! Next time pita chips and hummus are a must too.


And there was a lasagna cooking too...
Jeff requested a turkey lasagna... so I cooked up some ground turkey, then layered it between lasagna noodles, along with sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella!


The finished product:

After eating and cleaning up it was time for a fire and a movie... just what the doctor ordered! Although I'm hoping that the temps warm up and it won't be sitting in front of a fire weather for too much longer... unless it's a campfire of course!

Sunday morning felt quite lazy... but then it was back to reality and getting work and errands done, by the time I had checked everything off my list it was already 7 o'clock and time to eat dinner and get ready for a busy week!

My kiddos are taking MCAS this week. Today was session 1, tomorrow session 2. They're too funny, in fact they told me today that it was fun! I guess that's a good thing, let's just hope they answered the questions completely and correctly!!

1 comment:

jbhurdlez said...

Loved the Falafel and Lasagna! Thanks!