Friday, April 27, 2012

Double Digit Wedding Land!

99 days until we get married-- we are officially in double digits baby!

Yesterday marked the 100 days to go in our countdown. I have to say that the engagement is going by pretty quickly! We got engaged last July, so we've already been engaged a little over 9 months, which means only about 3 to go! That's about 75% complete for you mathematicians out there.

Other wedding excitement will continue tomorrow. We have our Pre Cana day. Some churches do meetings over a few months, other parishes do a weekend retreat, but ours just does a full day of it.

What is Pre Cana?

According to Wiki-pedia... yes I googled it, even though I am a practicing Catholic, I still wasn't fully clear on what the Pre Cana entailed...

Pre-Cana is a course or consultation Catholic couples must undergo before they can be married in a Catholic church. The name is derived from John 2:1-12, the wedding feast at Cana in Galilee, where Jesus performed the miracle of turning water into wine.
Approaches to Pre-Cana vary among Catholic dioceses and parishes. Often six weekly sessions are led by a priest or deacon with support from a married Catholic couple.

Online programs have emerged as an alternative to gathered events as Parishes and Dioceses cope with fewer resources, geographically expanding congregations and deployed military couples.
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops considers the following topics as "must have conversations" [1] before couples marry:
Spirituality/Faith
Conflict Resolution Skills
Careers
Finances
Intimacy/Cohabitation
Children
Commitment

Other topics that may be covered by PreCana include:
Ceremony Planning
Family of Origin[2]
Communication
Marriage as a Sacrament
Sexuality
Natural Family Planning
Theology of the Body
Couple Prayer
Unique Challenges of Military Couples
Stepfamilies
Children of Divorce

Basically we meet with other couples and talk about issues that could arise during marriage, plans we have for starting a family, and other things like that. Sometimes there are married couples who meet with you too to talk about their experiences as well.

I am actually really looking forward to spending all day at church. I think it will be a great time for JAB and I to grow together and talk about real issues and conflicts that we will face during our married lives together.

And now for something completely different-- running! Yes, I didn't run yesterday, but this was planned. I had to switch up the routine this week because I wanted to plan to take Saturday off, since I will be up in MA in church all day! Soooo Thursday was a bike day, which meant today (Friday) was a running day!

Today's run was actually better than I thought. I knew that there were 25 mph winds, which I wasn't thrilled about, but I decided to run the loop I had planned, even though it is slightly hilly. As I was running I actually felt a little slow at points, but the wind resistance made me definitely work harder and even though I felt somewhat slow I thought "Julie, you're running, you're healthy, you're happy, it's sunny, and YOU'RE RUNNING." I couldn't complain to myself about the wind or the slight chill in the air, instead I enjoyed the run.

I even smiled afterwards!

And I must have not been running as slow as I thought, actually I think I was quite slow on some up hills, but I recovered nicely enough on the downhills that it averaged out to some ok stats. I wasn't shooting for anything time-wise today, just trying to get 6 or 7 miles in. I ended up doing that plus a little bit-- 7.53 miles, done!


Evidence- I really did it! And now the weekend can begin-- with the day off from working out tomorrow! I love running don't get me wrong, but this was a long week and I think my body is ready for a day off from working out tomorrow.

Here's hoping Pre Cana goes well... has anyone else been through this?



No comments: